PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS INFORMATION IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY. IF THERE IS A DISCREPENCY BETWEEN THE INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE AND THE TRAVEL INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA, THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE GOVERNEMENT OF CANADA WEBSITE WILL BE CONSIDERED CORRECT. PLEASE VERIFY ALL INFORMATION WITH THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA FOR YOURSELF: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid
MLOA has been working hard to bring our members the latest news regarding US/Canada border restrictions. Recently Canada announced that as of Aug 9th 2021 all fully vaccinated US travelers will be allowed into Canada. Requirements and Information is always changing, and the below information is only current as of July 28, 2021.. MLOA will share new information as it becomes available.
For US citizens looking to enter Canada, you must have been double vaccinated with the following:
- or have received a single dose of Johnson & Johnson 14 or more days ago.
Regardless of travel type, anyone entering Canada needs to download the ArriveCAN app and have completed the documentation:
- contact information
- purpose of travel
- vaccination status
- proof of vaccination
- pre-entry Covid-19 test results
- quarantine plan.
This needs to be done within 72 hours of you arriving to Canada. A pre-arrival Covid-19 test must be taken within 72 hours of travel and the result needs to be negative.
Find the app here: https://tinyurl.com/yf7bq35v
Acceptable types of tests to enter Canada are molecular (PCR) tests. An antigen test will not be accepted.
By Air: For your trip back home to the US, you need to have a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of landing in America. An entry test to the US can be either antigen or molecular. Testing time and cost varies and is available in various Winnipeg locations. Please note that currently there are no direct flights in or out of Winnipeg from the US.
By Land: According to US Border Services, If you are planning on driving back to the US, the land border crossing does not require you to have a negative Covid-19 test to enter the US.
Below you will find a list of clinics who offer testing for departure by air:
- $169 for antigen, $350 for PCR
- Antigen ~15min, PCR ~24hrs
- 42 Speers Road (Unit B)
- Hours: 8am-8pm Mon-Fri, 9:30-5:30pm Sat, 12pm-8pm Sun
- $169 for antigen (+GST), $450 for PCR
- Antigen ~1hr, PCR ~8hr
- 1129 Empress Street
- 8:30am-4pm Mon-Fri, Closed Sat-sun
Travel Clinic South
- $250 for PCR
- Results before 5pm next day
- 2770 Pembina Highway (Unit 1)
- 9am-3pm Mon-Fri, Closed Sat-Sun
Travel Clinic South
- $250 for PCR
- Results before 5pm next day
- 286 McDermot Avenue (Pharmacy)
- 9:30am-2:30pm Mon-Fri, Closed Sat-Sun
The Minor Illness & Injury Clinic
- FREE (PCR)
- Run through Dynacare
- NOTE – Travellers must confirm that airline accepts Dynacare’s test
- Results 24-48hrs
- At RRC campus 2055 Notre Dame
Travellers must have a quarantine plan in place, even though they are eligible to come to Canada without quarantining. For land crossing, a quarantine plan may include turning around and driving back home. For air travel, a quarantine plan must include a place that travellers can stay for 14 or more days with no contacts. Quarantine plan will be checked on entry.
You do not need to quarantine if you have:
- Been double vaccinated with an approved vaccine 14 or more days ago
- Submitted travel information with ArriveCAN
- Taken an accepted pre-entry PCR covid test
Please Note: Travellers Do not need to complete post arrival unless randomly selected
Quarantine plan includes:
- A place you can stay for 14 days or longer
- Need to have food, water, basic necessities delivered to you contact free
- You cannot quarantine with people you travelled with, but do not normally live with
- Cannot share kitchen, bathroom, sleeping quarters or household items with anyone
Please note: You will be asked about your quarantine plan to confirm it meets requirements, and you may be referred to a Quarantine Officer for additional review. If you are referred, the Quarantine Officer will determine whether your plan complies with requirements.
You must be prepared to quarantine for 14 days, in case you:
- are symptomatic
- don’t meet the requirements
Prepare your quarantine plan, assess your quarantine plan
As a traveller, you must demonstrate that you have a suitable plan for quarantine.
You’re expected to make these plans, within your own means, before travelling to Canada. Foreign nationals who do not have a suitable plan may be denied entry into Canada.
You’ll need to confirm you have a suitable place to quarantine where you:
- stay for 14 days or possibly longer
- have access to the necessities of life, including water, food, medication and heat without leaving quarantine
- can avoid contact with others who did not travel with you
- have no visits from family or guests
Do you have a place where you can quarantine for 14 days or longer (air travellers: for after your mandatory hotel stopover)?
Will you be able to get food and other basic necessities (such as water, medicine or heat) without leaving your place of quarantine? If you’re in an apartment or condo, your place of quarantine is your unit.
- Yes, I will have food and necessities delivered to my door without any contact
- No, I will not have access to necessities without leaving
Which best describes your place of quarantine?
- Apartment or condo
- House or cabin
- Hotel or motel
- Student residence at a designated learning institution
- Industrial camp
- Group residence (nursing home, residential treatment facility)
- Construction trailer
- Residential care or long-term care facility
Are you planning to share this place with anyone else during your quarantine?
- No, I’ll be alone
- With people I live with and travelled with
- With people I live with who didn’t travel
- With people I don’t usually live with, who I travelled with
While in Quarantine:
- Do not leave your place of quarantine unless it is for a medical emergency, an essential medical service or treatment, to obtain a COVID-19 molecular test, or it is pre-authorized by a Quarantine Officer
- Use only private outdoor spaces (i.e. balcony)
- Do not have any visits from family or guests
- Do not use shared spaces such as lobbies, courtyards, restaurants, gyms or pools
Expect calls, emails and visits from the Government of Canada
The Government of Canada uses the information you provided in ArriveCAN to verify that you:
- arrived at your place of quarantine
- are providing daily symptom reports
You will receive live or automated calls. You must answer calls from 1-888-336-7735 and answer all questions truthfully to demonstrate your compliance with the law.
You will receive email reminders of your quarantine requirements.